- March 5: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 6: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 9: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Pelo malo/Bad Hair
- March 10: Teachers Talking Writing
- March 11: Faculty Publication Tea
- March 12: Teachers Talking
- March 16: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - La sombra azul/The Blue Shadow with director Sergio Schmucler
- March 19: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 20: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- March 23: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Last Screening: Wilaya
- March 24: Teachers Talking
- April 9: Teachers Talking
- April 10: Faculty Shop Talk
- April 11: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- April 12: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- April 16: New Faculty Orientation Session
- April 22: New Faculty Mentor/Mentee Social (tenure-track only)
- April 24: Faculty Shop Talk
- Alisa Rosenthal — x7437
- Sean Cobb, Technology — x6085
- Paul Saulnier, New Faculty Programming — x6123
- Leila Brammer, Research, Scholarship, and Creativity — x6190
- Deb Pitton, Global and Cultural Engagement — x7456
- Thia Cooper, Interim Diversity and Inclusive Excellence — x6296
- Cathy Blaukat — x6227
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- The John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning is located in Beck Hall, Room 103
Join us Thursday, January 8, 2009 for Teachers Talking on "All Things Student Research, Scholarship, and Creativity." Join colleagues to learn about how to involve students in research/scholarship/or creative works inside and outside the classroom, how Presidential faculty-student collaboration grants apply to every discipline (and how to apply), and learn about this year's Celebration of Creative Inquiry.
Join us Thursday, January 15 for Teachers Talking on "Responding to Students." Dr. Rachel Slater, Staff Psychologist in the Counseling Center, will discuss her study of how college teachers recognize and manage their emotional reactions to students. Free lunch at the Three Crowns Buffet, then meet in the St. Peter Room from 11:30 to 12:20 p.m. or again from 12:30 to 1:20 p.m.
Kendall Center Strategic Planning Session
All faculty are invited to participate in a strategic planning for the Kendall Center. Come share you ideas about the future of faculty professional development at Gustavus on Tuesday, January 13 from 2-3 p.m. in Linnear Lounge.
New Faculty Orientation Session (tenure-track only)
Join us on Wednesday, January 28 for New Faculty Orientation on "Faculty Reviews and Tenure Criteria" (tenure-track faculty only). New tenure-track faculty are invited for lunch from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. in the St. Peter Room. The session on faculty reviews and tenure criteria will be held from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
The First Term Seminar Program and the John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning are pleased to introduce a special curriculum development opportunity for faculty teaching in the First Term Seminar program in Fall 2009. Please visit the Kendall Center website for an application and further information. Deadline to apply is February 13, 2009.
The John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning is pleased to introduce the 2009 Summer Teaching and Learning Workshop, June 1-5. Faculty will have the opportunity to choose from a variety of sessions, depending on interest or availability. Please visit the Kendall Center website for a description of each session, day/s and time/s, and the application.
The Chili Cook-Off is back! All faculty, please plan to attend the most tasty event of the year and see if you can dethrone the Classicist's award-winning culinary creation from last year. What to do? Please cook up a pot of your favorite chili, enough to share. No time to cook? Come anyway, there always is plenty for all. The Cook-off will be held Friday, February 13 from 5 to 7 p.m. As usual, Schell's Brewery has graciously agreed to provide the beer; non-alcoholic beverages also will be available.
Join Dr. Arthur Zajonc, Mellon Professor of Physics at Amherst College on February 16, 2009, "Teaching as Contemplative Practice." He will talk about his work in incorporating contemplative practice in his teaching, followed by responses from Gustavus faculty. This afternoon Teachers Talking will be held from 4 to 5:30 p.m., with wine and light appetizers in the St. Peter Room.
Please click "more" to access The Teaching Professor and Academic Leader links for the December 2008 edition as well as the 2007 annual index.
Developing new NSSE questions--we need your feedback
Researchers at the Indiana University Center for Postsecondary Research are developing a series of questions to add to the NSSE that will evaluate students' experiences in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) programs. They, and we, would like to get your feedback on these new questions. Please go to our Wabash National Study blog to read the questions and post your comments.
About the newsletter
This is an e-mail newsletter from the John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning. If you prefer not to receive future issues of this newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with your e-mail address and name.