- March 13: Teachers Talking Technology
- March 14: Multiple Strategies for Multi-lingual Writers Workshop
- March 14: Reacting to the Past Regional Conference
- March 18: Teachers Talking
- March 20: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 21: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 22: Faculty Writing Retreat
- March 22: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- April 7: Majors/Minors Fair
- April 11: Faculty Shop Talk
- April 12: Faculty Writing Retreat
- April 12: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- April 15: Teachers Talking Technology
- April 15: Showcase for Community-Engaged Scholarship
- April 16: Teachers Talking Writing
- April 17: New Faculty Orientation Session
- April 23: Teachers Talking
- April 23: New Faculty Mentor Mentee Social
- April 25: Faculty Shop Talk
- May 2: Celebration of Creative Inquiry
- Alisa Rosenthal — x7437
- Kyle Chambers, Faculty Associate for Technology — x7063
- Kate Keller, Faculty Associate for Evidence-Based Learning — x7432
- Tom Huber, Undergraduate Research — x7036
- Paul Saulnier, New Faculty Programming — x6123
- Cathy Blaukat — x6227
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- The John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning is located in Beck Hall, Room 103
Do you have great pedagogical ideas that you would like to present or publish? Join Michael Smith, Ithaca College, and Trish Ferrett, Carleton College, for a workshop: Fit for Public Consumption: Strategies for Sharing Your Studies on Learning on Friday, November 2nd from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. in the St. Peter room. Participants will have the opportunity to order a few discipline specific books of their choice.
Tomorrow, Thursday October 25th will be a New Faculty Orientation. Topic is Leading large classroom discussion. The next orientation sessions for new faculty will be held on November 8th (topic: establishing departmental relationships) and November 29th (topic: student course evaluations). All sessions are held on Thursdays from 12:30 - 1:20 p.m. Free lunch at the Buffet and then meet in the St. Peter Room. All new faculty members are expected to attend orientation sessions throughout the academic year.
Teachers Talking Technology
Teachers Talking Technology will be held on Tuesday, November 13th and the focus will be on using Moodle in classes. Free lunch at the Three Crowns Buffet, then meet in the St Peter Room from 11:30 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. and again at 12:30 to 1:20 p.m.
Our next Teachers Talking will be held on Thursday, November 15th. Topic will be: Who are our students? presented by Hank Toutain, V.P. of Student Affairs and Dr. Jackie Alvarez, Counseling Center. All Teachers Talking are held from 11:30 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. and again at 12:30 p.m. to 1:20 p.m. Free lunch at the Three Crowns Buffet, then meet in the St. Peter Room.
Chili Cook-Off and Beer Tasting
Mark your calendars for the Chili Cook-Off on Friday, February 22nd from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Interpretive Center. Cook up a big pot of your favorite chili, enough to share. Schell's Brewery has graciously agreed to provide the beer, we'll have chili fixin's and non alcoholic beverages too.
The Faculty Resource Network hosts a series of week-long intensive seminars designed to enhance the teaching and scholarship of participants at their home institutions. For more information visit the Faculty Resource Network website.
The Kendall Center has the following books on closed reserve in the Gustavus library: Active Learning: Cooperation in the College Classroom , Collaborative Learning Techniques: A Handbook for College Faculty, Research Writing Revisited: A Sourcebook for Teachers, Teaching at its Best: A Research-Based Resource for College Instructors, and Tools for Teaching.
Fulbright Scholar Opportunities
The Fulbright Scholar Program sends 800 U.S. faculty and professionals abroad each year to lecture and/or conduct research in a wide variety of academic and professional fields. If you are interested in these opportunities, please click on this link.
About the newsletter
This is an e-mail newsletter from the John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning. If you prefer not to receive future issues of this newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with your e-mail address and name.