- March 6: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 9: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Pelo malo/Bad Hair
- March 10: Teachers Talking Writing
- March 11: Faculty Publication Tea
- March 12: Teachers Talking
- March 16: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - La sombra azul/The Blue Shadow with director Sergio Schmucler
- March 19: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 20: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- March 23: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Last Screening: Wilaya
- March 24: Teachers Talking
- April 9: Teachers Talking
- April 10: Faculty Shop Talk
- April 11: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- April 12: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- April 16: New Faculty Orientation Session
- April 22: New Faculty Mentor/Mentee Social (tenure-track only)
- April 24: Faculty Shop Talk
- Alisa Rosenthal — x7437
- Sean Cobb, Technology — x6085
- Paul Saulnier, New Faculty Programming — x6123
- Leila Brammer, Research, Scholarship, and Creativity — x6190
- Deb Pitton, Global and Cultural Engagement — x7456
- Thia Cooper, Interim Diversity and Inclusive Excellence — x6296
- Cathy Blaukat — x6227
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- The John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning is located in Beck Hall, Room 103
Chili Cook-Off and Beer Tasting!
Mark your calendars for the Chili Cook-Off on Friday, February 9th from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm in the Interpretive Center. Cook up a big pot of your favorite chili, enough to share. Schell's Brewery has graciously agreed to provide the beer, we'll have chili fixin's and non alcoholic beverages too. Please email cblaukat if you plan to bring chili and/or attend.
Special Teachers Talking: How Admissions Works
Join Mark Anderson from Admissions for a wine and appetizers Teachers Talking on Tuesday, February 13th from 3:30 to 4:30 pm in the St Peter Room. If you can't attend that date/time, join us for a free lunch on Thursday, February 15th. Teachers Talking will be held in the St Peter Room from either 11:30 am to 12:20 pm or at 12:30 pm to 1:20 pm.
In order to allow us to spend our remaining funds through December 31, 2007, we have put the following procedures in place for Bush Grant Funding.
The Faculty Development Program invites you to participate this summer in our workshop designed to help enhance research and creative practices for students in all disciplines. Drawing on direction provided by the College's strategic planning process, the Faculty Senate, and the Academic Planning Committee (2006), the workshop aims to assist faculty prepare, enhance, and assess the vital and transformative opportunities for student scholarship and creativity.
New Faculty Mentoring Partner Program participants will gather on Monday, February 12th at 5:00 p.m. for dinner and conversation in the President's Dining Room. The focus of the dinner will be "sticky issues" faced by 1st and 2nd year faculty in their work and life here at Gustavus.
Presidential Faculty Student Collaboration Grants, applications due February 15, 2007
Sabbatical Proposals, applications due March 1, 2007
Research, Scholarship and Creativity Grants, applications due March 15, 2007
If you have any questions about these grants, please contact Elizabeth Bear, Faculty Development Committee Chair or go to the Faculty Development website.
Faculty may apply for weeklong seminars (free of charge to those who are accepted) at New York University on a wide variety of topics including American Indian perspectives on US history to education for civic engagement.
The posting looks at the value of not always talking at your students. It is by Professor Jeff Kerssen-Griep, of the Department of Communications Studies at the University of Portland in Portland, OR. The article first appeared in the September 2006, issue of Portland magazine. It was commissioned after Kerssen-Griep received a number of teaching awards.
Tomorrows-Professor To subscribe, send an email to the link:
Inside Higher Ed To subscribe, visit this link: https://www.insidehighered.com/sign_up
The Faculty Development Resource Center has acquired six new books, which are available for loan. If interested, please email cblaukat and a copy will be put in campus mail.
About the newsletter
This is an e-mail newsletter from the John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning. If you prefer not to receive future issues of this newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with your e-mail address and name.