- March 2: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - AquÃ y allÃ¡/Here and There with director Antonio MÃ©ndez Esparza
- March 5: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 6: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 9: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Pelo malo/Bad Hair
- March 10: Teachers Talking Writing
- March 11: Faculty Publication Tea
- March 12: Teachers Talking
- March 16: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - La sombra azul/The Blue Shadow with director Sergio Schmucler
- March 19: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 20: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- March 23: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Last Screening: Wilaya
- March 24: Teachers Talking
- April 9: Teachers Talking
- April 10: Faculty Shop Talk
- April 11: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- April 12: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- April 16: New Faculty Orientation Session
- April 22: New Faculty Mentor/Mentee Social (tenure-track only)
- April 24: Faculty Shop Talk
- Alisa Rosenthal — x7437
- Sean Cobb, Technology — x6085
- Paul Saulnier, New Faculty Programming — x6123
- Leila Brammer, Research, Scholarship, and Creativity — x6190
- Deb Pitton, Global and Cultural Engagement — x7456
- Thia Cooper, Interim Diversity and Inclusive Excellence — x6296
- Cathy Blaukat — x6227
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- The John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning is located in Beck Hall, Room 103
Join colleagues for a free lunch and conversation on Tuesday, December 5th. Teachers Talking will be held in the Heritage Room from 11:30 am to 12:20 pm or at 12:30 pm to 1:20 pm. (Sign in at the buffet). Mark Braun and Hank Toutain will discuss the topic "Free Speech: political opinions and speech in classrooms".
Changing Conceptions of Faculty Work will be the topic of January's Teachers Talking. Join colleagues for a free lunch and conversation on Thursday, January 18th. Teachers Talking will be held in the St Peter Room from 11:30 am to 12:20 pm or at 12:30 pm to 1:20 pm. (Sign in at the buffet)
Faculty are invited to participate in the second symposium of Partners of Education Progress, focused on "Globalization and Social Responsibility: The Role of the Lutheran University".
"Imagining Namibia" Photo Exhibit
Faculty and staff who traveled to Namibia this summer as part of the Service Learning for Social Justice program are exhibiting their some of the photographs at the Arts Center of St. Peter. The show runs November 16-January 7; a reception will be held on Saturday, December 9 from 2 to 5 p.m. for all Gustavus and St. Peter community members (refreshments will include African foods).
The Collaboration for the Advancement of College Teaching and Learning will be holding a conference on February 16-17, 2007 in Bloomington, MN. The topic is: "Transforming Student Learning For A Global Society".
The Lutheran Academy of Scholars Summer Seminar, CULTIVATING AUTHENTICITY: Negotiating Difference in a Plural World will be held on July 8-21, 2007 at Harvard University.
NYU Network Summer - watch for an announcment of summer programs to be held June 11-15th, 2007 at New York University. Over a dozen week-long seminars will be offered on a wide variety of topics. Thanks to our institituional membership, Gustavus faculty who apply and are accepted will have registration, materials, travel, and lodging paid for. For information on the Faculty Resource Network see their Website.
The Faculty Development Library has recently purchased six new books for you to check out. If interested, please email cblaukat.
Scrantron Forms Available by Request
Our office has free scrantron forms available to all departments. Please call 6227 or send an email to cblaukat to request the forms. Be sure to indicate how many you will be needing. Faculty will be responsible for running their own scantron forms once completed.
Mark your calendars! Our office will once again be sponsoring the Chili Cook-Off on Friday, February 9th from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm in the Interpretive Center. Cook up a big pot of your favorite chili, enough to share. Schell's Brewery has graciously agreed to provide the beer, we'll have chili fixin's and non alcoholic beverages too. Watch the newsletter for more details to come.
Faculty Development Survey
Thank you to eveyone who took the Faculty Development Survey. The information will be extremely helpful to us as we evaluate the Bush Foundation grant and plan for the future. Your participation was greatly appreciated. Thank you
About the newsletter
This is an e-mail newsletter from the John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning. If you prefer not to receive future issues of this newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with your e-mail address and name.