- March 2: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - AquÃ y allÃ¡/Here and There with director Antonio MÃ©ndez Esparza
- March 5: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 6: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 9: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Pelo malo/Bad Hair
- March 10: Teachers Talking Writing
- March 11: Faculty Publication Tea
- March 12: Teachers Talking
- March 16: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - La sombra azul/The Blue Shadow with director Sergio Schmucler
- March 19: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 20: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- March 23: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Last Screening: Wilaya
- March 24: Teachers Talking
- April 9: Teachers Talking
- April 10: Faculty Shop Talk
- April 11: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- April 12: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- April 16: New Faculty Orientation Session
- April 22: New Faculty Mentor/Mentee Social (tenure-track only)
- April 24: Faculty Shop Talk
- Alisa Rosenthal — x7437
- Sean Cobb, Technology — x6085
- Paul Saulnier, New Faculty Programming — x6123
- Leila Brammer, Research, Scholarship, and Creativity — x6190
- Deb Pitton, Global and Cultural Engagement — x7456
- Thia Cooper, Interim Diversity and Inclusive Excellence — x6296
- Cathy Blaukat — x6227
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- The John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning is located in Beck Hall, Room 103
Join Ken Westphal, Vice President of Finance, for an overview of the college budgeting process, a discussion on the opportunities and challenges of spending priorities, and the campus framework plan. A wine and appetizers Teachers Talking will be held in the St Peter Room on Tuesday, October 17th from 4:00 to 5:00 pm. It will be presented again on Thursday, October 19th during a free lunch.
Upcoming Conference information for AACU, ALCF, The Collaboration, MN Private College Council, Fund & Research Foundation, MN Campus Compact, and Center for Innovation in the Liberal Arts (CILA). Visit the individual websites or contact the Faculty Development Resource Center for more information.
The Gustavus Global Faculty Program brings Gustavus students into conversation with outstanding scientists, artists, scholars, authors, teachers and other professionals from around the world. For up to one semester, students in classes at Gustavus engage in discussion, ask questions, and share observations via the Internet with "Global Faculty."
Chronicle of Higher Education - Live Chats
The Chronicle of Higher Education is holding live chats on various higher education topics. They will be held every Thursday at noon EST and each one will be hosted by a Chronicle editor and a guest "speaker." http://chronicle.com/live/
Check out this Article from The Carnegie Foundation
Interesting article from The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching - Integrating Work and Life: A Vision for a Changing Academy by Pat Hutchings, Mary Taylor Huber, and Chris M. Golde.
Assessing Student Learning - new resource book available
The Faculty Developmnet Resource Center has a new book available for loan - Assessing Student Learning: A common sense guide by Linda Suskie. Please email cblaukat@gac if you'd like to check-out this resource book.
The Commission on the Future of Higher Education - final report
Below is the link for the final report of the Commission on the Future of Higher Education - http://www.ed.gov/about/bdscomm/list/hiedfuture/reports/pre-pub-report.pdf
SIT, School for International Training is the accredited higher education institution of World Learning, is offering a Faculty Development program opportunity in May 2007 to Vietnam.
About the newsletter
This is an e-mail newsletter from the John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning. If you prefer not to receive future issues of this newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your e-mail address and name.