- March 2: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - AquÃ y allÃ¡/Here and There with director Antonio MÃ©ndez Esparza
- March 5: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 6: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 9: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Pelo malo/Bad Hair
- March 10: Teachers Talking Writing
- March 11: Faculty Publication Tea
- March 12: Teachers Talking
- March 16: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - La sombra azul/The Blue Shadow with director Sergio Schmucler
- March 19: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 20: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- March 23: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Last Screening: Wilaya
- March 24: Teachers Talking
- April 9: Teachers Talking
- April 10: Faculty Shop Talk
- April 11: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- April 12: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- April 16: New Faculty Orientation Session
- April 22: New Faculty Mentor/Mentee Social (tenure-track only)
- April 24: Faculty Shop Talk
- Alisa Rosenthal — x7437
- Sean Cobb, Technology — x6085
- Paul Saulnier, New Faculty Programming — x6123
- Leila Brammer, Research, Scholarship, and Creativity — x6190
- Deb Pitton, Global and Cultural Engagement — x7456
- Thia Cooper, Interim Diversity and Inclusive Excellence — x6296
- Cathy Blaukat — x6227
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- The John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning is located in Beck Hall, Room 103
Teachers Talking will be held on Thursday, October 20th from 11:30 to 12:30 and again from 12:30 to 1:30 in the Three Crowns Buffet. Topic: Chapter 3 Discussion of the book What The Best College Teachers Do by Ken Bain.
New Faculty Orientation Session
The Monthly Orientation Session for new faculty will be held on Thursday, October 6th from 9:00 am to 9:50 am in the Linner Lounge. Topic: Midterm grades, grading rubrics and methods, and registrar questions.
The 2005 Fall Professional Development Conference, Diversity Here and Now: Holistice Sustainable Approaches to Multicultural Learning from The Collaboration for the Advancement of College Teaching and Learning will be held November 18-19 at the Sheraton Bloomington Hotel in Bloomington, Minnesota.
This workshop will be held March 3-5, 2006, at Texas Weseleyan University in Fort Worth, TX.
Faculty Travel Forms
The forms for Faculty professional travel can be found online on the Faculty Development website - http://www.gustavus.edu/oncampus/facdev. The forms are also in the mailbox by the door of the Faculty Development Resource Center SSC 119. If you are submitting requests for travel online, please send the email attachment to cblaukat. Please submit your travel request forms at your earliest convenience. Thank you!
The Faculty Development Resource Center has a new book available. It is Liberal Arts Colleges and Liberal Arts Education: New Evidence on Impacts by Ernest T. Pascarella, Gregory C. Wolniak, Tricia A. D. Seifert, Ty M.T Cruce, and Charles F. Blaich.
Syllabi and Course Evaluation Collection Book Available
At New Faculty Orientation, we handed out a Syllabi and Course Evaluation Collection booklet. It contains examples of syllabi and cousre evaluations used by Gustavus faculty members. If you would be interested in having a copy, please email me at cblaukat and I will get one to you. We would also like to take this opportunity to say thanks to those faculty who agreed to have their course syllabi and evaluations included.
Faculty Development Opportunities
There are many Faculty Development opportunities available. The Faculty Development Resource Center has a handout which outlines all information and the procedures for Faculty Professional Travel and Mini-Grants, including Individual, Departmental and Mid-Career and Senior Faculty. If you would like to receive this information, please email cblaukat.
About the newsletter
This is an e-mail newsletter from the John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning. If you prefer not to receive future issues of this newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your e-mail address and name.