- March 5: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 6: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 9: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Pelo malo/Bad Hair
- March 10: Teachers Talking Writing
- March 11: Faculty Publication Tea
- March 12: Teachers Talking
- March 16: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - La sombra azul/The Blue Shadow with director Sergio Schmucler
- March 19: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 20: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- March 23: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Last Screening: Wilaya
- March 24: Teachers Talking
- April 9: Teachers Talking
- April 10: Faculty Shop Talk
- April 11: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- April 12: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- April 16: New Faculty Orientation Session
- April 22: New Faculty Mentor/Mentee Social (tenure-track only)
- April 24: Faculty Shop Talk
- Alisa Rosenthal — x7437
- Sean Cobb, Technology — x6085
- Paul Saulnier, New Faculty Programming — x6123
- Leila Brammer, Research, Scholarship, and Creativity — x6190
- Deb Pitton, Global and Cultural Engagement — x7456
- Thia Cooper, Interim Diversity and Inclusive Excellence — x6296
- Cathy Blaukat — x6227
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- The John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning is located in Beck Hall, Room 103
Reading in Common: Book Giveaway
The first year reading in common books have been announced: "Where Am I Wearing" and "Where Am I Eating" by Kelsey Timmerman. To enable all faculty members to participate in the campus conversation, the Kendall Center is happy to announce that we will be offering a free book of each title for any faculty member who would like one. Please email your request to the Kendall Center's administrative assistant, Cathy Blaukat (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Celebration of Creative Inquiry - May 2
The Celebration of Creative Inquiry is a campus-wide forum to publicly share the creative inquiry of students from Gustavus Adolphus College. The Celebration will be held from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the Campus Center on Friday, May 2 the day before Honors Day, and will feature student poster presentations (or other similar presentations as appropriate). "Creative inquiry" is an intentionally broad term that encompasses research and scholarship including, in the arts, exhibits or performances.
Ready to turn your paper into an article? Facilitated by Professor of Political Science Chris Gilbert, this workshop will help you turn an existing manuscript into a publishable piece. Over the summer you will develop a feasible work plan for your scholarship and engage in activities that address the necessary components in the academic publishing process. By participating in the workshop, you will be on track to submit an article to an editor at a journal of your choice by the end of summer.
Do you have a great idea for a scholarly or creative project and need funding to make it real? Do you plan to apply for a grant soon and need to better define and sell your project? Are you a new faculty member writing your first grant proposal? Are you seeking funding from an agency or foundation you've never worked with before? The Kendall Center for Engaged Learning is offering a summer workshop to develop and write a grant proposal.
Join Dwight Stoll (Chemistry) on Tuesday, May 6th for a Teachers Talking Technology focusing on software needs as our traditional method of gaining access to software is shifting. Program at 11:30 am and again at 12:30 pm. Free lunch at Three Crowns buffet, meet in the Heritage Room.
Join us on Wednesday, May 7 for Teachers Talking on writing effective letters of recommendation. Program at 11:30 am and again at 12:30 pm. Free lunch at Three Crowns buffet, meet in the St Peter Room.
Join us on Thursday, May 8 for New Faculty Orientation Session. Year in review and wrapping up the year — final session of the year where any outstanding questions are answered and faculty feedback about the new faculty orientation program is gathered. Free lunch at the Three Crowns Buffet, then meet in the St Peter Room, 12:30 to 1:20 p.m
Faculty Writing Retreat at GAC and ASI
The Kendall Center is hosting monthly Writing Retreats this spring semester both at Gustavus and at ASI. Faculty can sign up for a full day — 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. - devoted to writing. We'll provide breakfast and lunch. DATES: Saturday, May 10, 2014 (ASI and GAC). Please reserve a space with Cathy Blaukat (email@example.com).
Final Friday Faculty Social
All faculty are invited to the Final Friday Faculty Social on Friday, May 16 from 4 to 6 p.m. in the Interpretive Center. Get to know new faculty, reconnect with colleagues, and celebrate the start of the new year. Refreshments provided. Hosted by the John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning, the Office of the Provost, and the Office of Foundation and Corporate Relations.
About the newsletter
This is an e-mail newsletter from the John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning. If you prefer not to receive future issues of this newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your e-mail address and name.