- February 27: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 2: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - AquÃ y allÃ¡/Here and There with director Antonio MÃ©ndez Esparza
- March 5: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 6: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 9: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Pelo malo/Bad Hair
- March 10: Teachers Talking Writing
- March 11: Faculty Publication Tea
- March 12: Teachers Talking
- March 16: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - La sombra azul/The Blue Shadow with director Sergio Schmucler
- March 19: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 20: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- March 23: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Last Screening: Wilaya
- March 24: Teachers Talking
- April 9: Teachers Talking
- April 10: Faculty Shop Talk
- April 11: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- April 12: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- April 16: New Faculty Orientation Session
- April 22: New Faculty Mentor/Mentee Social (tenure-track only)
- April 24: Faculty Shop Talk
- Alisa Rosenthal — x7437
- Sean Cobb, Technology — x6085
- Paul Saulnier, New Faculty Programming — x6123
- Leila Brammer, Research, Scholarship, and Creativity — x6190
- Deb Pitton, Global and Cultural Engagement — x7456
- Thia Cooper, Interim Diversity and Inclusive Excellence — x6296
- Cathy Blaukat — x6227
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- The John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning is located in Beck Hall, Room 103
Join us on Thursday, November 1st for Teachers Talking. Topic: Deliberation in the Classroom. What does the world need now? Deliberation. Incorporating deliberative processes, including examining multiple perspectives, into class discussion helps students develop more nuanced understandings of issues and results in more inclusive and reasoned decisions.
A Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) Workshop is scheduled for Friday, November 9th from 2:30 pm to 4:15 pm in Mattson 102. Three recent awardees of the SoTL Grant (Becky Fremo, Heidi Meyer, and Amy Vizenor) will discuss their experiences.
Faculty Shop Talk
Peg O'Connor (Philosophy and Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies) will present at Faculty Shop Talk on Friday, November 9. Her talk entitled, "In the Cave: Philosophy and Addiction" will be presented at 4:30 p.m. in the Interpretive Center. Feel free to arrive any time after 4:15 p.m. The abstract for this and future talks may be viewed here.
Teachers Talking Technology
Join us for Teachers Talking Technology on Tuesday, November 13. Program runs 11:30 am and again at 12:30 pm. Free lunch at Three Crowns buffet, meeting in the Heritage Room.
Teachers Talking Writing
Join us for Teachers Talking Writing on Wednesday, November 14. Program runs 11:30 am and again at 12:30 pm. Free lunch at Three Crowns buffet, meeting in the President's Dining Room.
Join us on November 15 for a New Faculty Orientation Session. The topic will be: Dealing with departmental colleagues — a session on successfully navigating inter- and intra-department relationships and politics. Presenter: Sujay Rao. Free lunch at the Three Crowns Buffet, then meet in the St Peter Room, 12:30 to 1:20 p.m
New Faculty Orientation Session
Join us on November 29 for a New Faculty Orientation Session. The topic will be: Course evaluations — a discussion of effective methods for evaluating teaching. Presenter: Paul Saulnier. Free lunch at the Three Crowns Buffet, then meet in the Presidents Dining Room, 12:30 to 1:20 p.m.
Save the Date! Book Discussion
The Provost Office and the Kendall Center are delighted to invite Gustavus faculty for a discussion with Bruce Gray about his book, Black and Bold. Join us on Wednesday, February 27 in the St Peter Room from 3 to 5:30 pm, wine and cheese will be provided. The Kendall Center has purchased two copies of his book and has put them on reserve at the library for faculty to read. His book is also on sale at the Book Mark.
One of the most important and demanding faculty committee assignments at Gustavus Adolphus College is serving on the Personnel Committee. That's why she asked colleagues who have gone through the process in recent years if they would mind sharing their statements, from which this anthology is drawn. click "more"
Currents in Teaching and Learning, is putting out a call for submissions. click "more" for further information.
IAPCHE International Conference Call for Papers - INTERNATIONALIZING CHRISTIAN HIGHER EDUCATION on MAY 23-25, 2013, PRINCE CONFERENCE CENTER, CALVIN COLLEGE, GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGAN, USA
About the newsletter
This is an e-mail newsletter from the John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning. If you prefer not to receive future issues of this newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your e-mail address and name.