- March 5: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 6: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 9: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Pelo malo/Bad Hair
- March 10: Teachers Talking Writing
- March 11: Faculty Publication Tea
- March 12: Teachers Talking
- March 16: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - La sombra azul/The Blue Shadow with director Sergio Schmucler
- March 19: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 20: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- March 23: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Last Screening: Wilaya
- March 24: Teachers Talking
- April 9: Teachers Talking
- April 10: Faculty Shop Talk
- April 11: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- April 12: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- April 16: New Faculty Orientation Session
- April 22: New Faculty Mentor/Mentee Social (tenure-track only)
- April 24: Faculty Shop Talk
- Alisa Rosenthal — x7437
- Sean Cobb, Technology — x6085
- Paul Saulnier, New Faculty Programming — x6123
- Leila Brammer, Research, Scholarship, and Creativity — x6190
- Deb Pitton, Global and Cultural Engagement — x7456
- Thia Cooper, Interim Diversity and Inclusive Excellence — x6296
- Cathy Blaukat — x6227
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- The John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning is located in Beck Hall, Room 103
The Celebration of Creative Inquiry is a campus-wide forum to publicly share the creative inquiry of students from Gustavus Adolphus College. The Celebration will be held Friday, May 4th and will feature student poster presentations. Faculty, please invite and encourage all Gustavus students engaged in creative inquiry to participate. Please visit the Kendall Center website for Abstract submission form and instructions. Abstract deadline is April 6, 2012.
Teachers Talking Technology
Join us on Tuesday, April 17 for Teachers Talking Technology. The topic is "Increasing Department and Program Visibility Online" and will be presented by Joel Carlin (Bio/EnvStudies) and Dwight Stoll (Chem). Program runs at 11:30 am and again at 12:30 pm. Free lunch at Three Crowns buffet, then meet in the Heritage Room.
Teachers Talking Writing
Join us for Teachers Talking Writing on Wednesday, April 18. Program runs at 11:30 am and again at 12:30 pm. Free lunch at Three Crowns buffet, then meet in the Heritage Room.
Join us on April 19 for a New Faculty Orientation Session. Know everything but still want lunch? As we near the end of the semester, we'd like to invite you to a no-agenda new faculty orientation lunch. We'll be there to answer questions if you have any, and give you reminders of some events that occur in the last month of the academic year, but other than that, just come over for lunch. Relax. Enjoy talking with colleagues you've come to know over this year. Celebrate your successes.
New Faculty Mentoring Partners Program
There will be a New Faculty Mentoring Partners Program wine and cheese social on Wednesday, April 25th, 2012 for faculty mentors and new faculty mentees participating in this program. This is a great chance to gather as a group and share stories with other first, second, or third year faculty, as well as with their faculty mentors. The social will begin at 4:30 p.m. in the St Peter Room and both mentors and mentees are invited. Mark your calendars. We hope to see you there!
Join us for Teachers Talking: Successes in the class/lab/stage on Thursday, April 26. Come share your teaching successes! Perhaps it was a new rubric, approach to class discussion, service learning assignment or activity to engage students with course material. Whatever the activity, come share what you did with your colleagues and reflect on why you thought it was successful with your students.
Congratulations to Mini Grant Recipients
Congratulations to Julie Gilbert and Barbara Fister who have been awarded a Department Teaching and Learning Mini Grant to examine student use of and attitudes about ebooks. Congratulations to Aaron Banks who has been awarded a Teaching and Learning Individual Mini Grant to participate in the Middle School and High School SPARK Summer Institute training.
The Kendall Center is looking to appoint two Faculty Associates, each for a three year term, starting in Fall 2012: the Faculty Associate for New Faculty Programming and the Faculty Associate for Evidence-Based Teaching. To indicate your interest in one of the positions, please send a brief statement of your interest and relevant experiences to the Kendall Center director, Margaret Bloch-Qazi (firstname.lastname@example.org), by Monday, 16 April. Appointment recommendations will be made to the Provost 23 April.
Established in 2012, this grant supports faculty in the process of learning about collections relevant to course content and developing assignments using primary sources found in the College and Lutheran Church Archives at Gustavus Adolphus College. The goal of the grant is to encourage faculty and student use of the archives and provide students with hands-on research activities with primary source materials.
Currents invites submissions for its Fall 2012 issue. please click "more" for more information.
About the newsletter
This is an e-mail newsletter from the John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning. If you prefer not to receive future issues of this newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with your e-mail address and name.