- March 6: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 9: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Pelo malo/Bad Hair
- March 10: Teachers Talking Writing
- March 11: Faculty Publication Tea
- March 12: Teachers Talking
- March 16: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - La sombra azul/The Blue Shadow with director Sergio Schmucler
- March 19: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 20: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- March 23: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Last Screening: Wilaya
- March 24: Teachers Talking
- April 9: Teachers Talking
- April 10: Faculty Shop Talk
- April 11: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- April 12: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- April 16: New Faculty Orientation Session
- April 22: New Faculty Mentor/Mentee Social (tenure-track only)
- April 24: Faculty Shop Talk
- Alisa Rosenthal — x7437
- Sean Cobb, Technology — x6085
- Paul Saulnier, New Faculty Programming — x6123
- Leila Brammer, Research, Scholarship, and Creativity — x6190
- Deb Pitton, Global and Cultural Engagement — x7456
- Thia Cooper, Interim Diversity and Inclusive Excellence — x6296
- Cathy Blaukat — x6227
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- The John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning is located in Beck Hall, Room 103
Sabbatical Leave applications due Friday, March 11
Sabbatical Leave applications are due Friday, March 11th. Nine copies of the completed application, including checklist, are to be submitted to the John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning (SSC 119). Please visit the Kendall Center website, under Grants, for further information and application checklist/budget.
Join us on Thursday, March 3 for a presentation by Dr. Darin J. Ulness and Patti Heisler (Associate Professor in the Chemistry Department and Neuroscience Program, Instructional Designer / Academic Technologist, respectively; Concordia College, Moorhead) followed by discussion. Program runs at 11:30 and at 12:30 pm. Free lunch at Three Crowns buffet, then meet in St Peter Room.
New Faculty Orientation Session 3/10
There will be a New Faculty Orientation Session on Thursday, March 10 from 12:30 to 1:20 p.m. in the St. Peter Room. Topic: Curriculum overview (Steve Mellema) and Academic Advising (Julie Johnson and invited guests) . As always, free lunch at the Three Crowns buffet.
Gustavus has been part of a unique national program addressing the documented imbalance of college men in study abroad, internships, service-learning, community service and other experiential learning opportunities. The results have just been published in a new book, "Engaging College Men: Discovering What Works and Why." Please join special guests, Dr. Miles Groth and Dr. Gar Kellom, for a presentation titled "Engaging College Men in Experiential Learning" followed by a conversation.
Join us for a SoTL lunch at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, March 11. Alisa Rosenthal will be the speaker. All are welcome, even if you are not planning a SoTL project in the near future. Free lunch at the Three Crowns buffet then meet in St Peter Room.
Teachers Talking Technology
Join us for a Teachers Talking Technology session on Tuesday, March 22. Program runs at 11:30 and again at 12:30 pm. Free lunch at Three Crowns buffet, then meet in the Heritage Room.
New Faculty Orientation Session 3/24
There will be a New Faculty Orientation Session on Thursday, March 24 from 12:30 to 1:20 p.m. in the St. Peter Room. Sujay Rao, Vice Chair of the Faculty Senate, will talk with you about how faculty governance works at Gustavus. He will also go over the committees at Gustavus, how the election or appointment process works, and suggests ways for you to be involved. As always, free lunch at the Three Crowns buffet.
Congratulations to this year's winners of the Chili Cook-off: Brandy Russell (Chemistry) made an Ethiopian-inspired chili and Brian O'Brien (Chemistry) made Garlic Chili. Thank you to the many participants who contributed chili dishes and joined us for a warm and enjoyable evening.
Gustavus Technology Services is pleased to announce the return of free, hands-on, technology training sessions for faculty and staff. These training sessions will be in small groups held in the Olin Technology Classroom (Room 124B) beginning at 9:00 am and lasting about an hour. They are aimed at all different skill levels so all are welcome. Our goal is to make you feel more comfortable using technology, software and other online resources. click "more" for dates/topics.
Celebration of Creative Inquiry
The Celebration of Creative Inquiry is a campus-wide forum to publicly share the creative inquiry of students from Gustavus Adolphus College. The Celebration will be held from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the Campus Center on Friday, May 6 the day before Honors Day, and will feature student poster presentations (or other similar presentations as appropriate). "Creative inquiry" is an intentionally broad term that encompasses research and scholarship including, in the arts, exhibits or performances.
About the newsletter
This is an e-mail newsletter from the John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning. If you prefer not to receive future issues of this newsletter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with your e-mail address and name.