- March 5: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 6: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 9: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Pelo malo/Bad Hair
- March 10: Teachers Talking Writing
- March 11: Faculty Publication Tea
- March 12: Teachers Talking
- March 16: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - La sombra azul/The Blue Shadow with director Sergio Schmucler
- March 19: New Faculty Orientation Session
- March 20: Faculty Shop Talk
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- March 21: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- March 23: 2nd Gustavus Hispanic FilmFest - Last Screening: Wilaya
- March 24: Teachers Talking
- April 9: Teachers Talking
- April 10: Faculty Shop Talk
- April 11: Faculty Writing Retreat at ASI
- April 12: Faculty Writing Retreat at Gustavus
- April 16: New Faculty Orientation Session
- April 22: New Faculty Mentor/Mentee Social (tenure-track only)
- April 24: Faculty Shop Talk
- Alisa Rosenthal — x7437
- Sean Cobb, Technology — x6085
- Paul Saulnier, New Faculty Programming — x6123
- Leila Brammer, Research, Scholarship, and Creativity — x6190
- Deb Pitton, Global and Cultural Engagement — x7456
- Thia Cooper, Interim Diversity and Inclusive Excellence — x6296
- Cathy Blaukat — x6227
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- The John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning is located in Beck Hall, Room 103
Teachers Talking Celebration of Creative Inquiry
Come chat about the Celebration of Creative Inquiry over lunch on Thursday, January 6th! Several of our colleagues from a variety of departments will be present to share how they have successfully encouraged (or required) students to participate in this event. We will also discuss strategies for helping students prepare visual displays of their work in fields where such presentations are uncommon. Program runs at 11:30 and again at 12:30 pm. Free lunch at Three Crowns buffet, then meet in the Heritage Room.
Laurie Bickett, our Disabilities Services Coordinator, will give a presentation on Complex Disability Issues and Laws in Post-secondary Settings and how it affects Disability Services at Gustavus on Thursday, January 20. Come and share your questions and quandaries related to teaching and disability issues for students with different abilities. Program runs at 11:30 and again at 12:30 pm. Free lunch at Three Crowns buffet, then meet in the Heritage Room.
New Faculty Orientation Session (non tenure-track)
There will be a New Faculty Orientation Session for non tenure-track faculty on Wednesday, January 12, from 12:30 to 1:20 p.m. in the St. Peter Room. Topic: "Making the most of a visiting faculty position". As always, free lunch at the Three Crowns buffet.
New Faculty Orientation Session (tenure track only)
There will be a New Faculty Orientation Session for tenure track faculty only on Thursday, January 6, from 12:30 to 1:20 p.m. in the St. Peter Room. Topic: Marie Walker, the chair of the Personnel Committee this year, will run a special new faculty orientation session on personnel reviews, tenure, and promotion at Gustavus. As always, free lunch at the Three Crowns buffet.
All faculty and staff and are invited to join a reading/discussion group during January. Reading Group 1: The Heart of Higher Education and Reading Group 2: Teaching at its Best: A research-based resource for college instructors. Please click "more" for further information and details.
The Chili Cook-Off is back! All faculty, please plan to attend the most tasty event of the year. What to do? Please cook up a pot of your favorite chili, enough to share. No time to cook? Come anyway, there always is plenty for all.The Cook-off will be held Friday, February 11 from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Interpretive Center. As usual, Schell's Brewery has graciously agreed to provide the beer; non-alcoholic beverages also will be available.
Gustavus Technology Services is pleased to announce the return of free, hands-on, technology training sessions for faculty and staff. These training sessions will be in small groups held in the Olin Technology Classroom (Room 124B) beginning at 9:00 am and lasting about an hour. They are aimed at all different skill levels so all are welcome. Our goal is to make you feel more comfortable using technology, software and other online resources. click "more" for dates/topics.
About the newsletter
This is an e-mail newsletter from the John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning. If you prefer not to receive future issues of this newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your e-mail address and name.